Thursday, November 16, 2006

Some Kind of Life Metaphor

Hey guys, ok so for community chapel yesterday (every Wed, we get together with our dorm and our sister dorm for chapel instead of with everyone) we had a lady speak to us and I just wanted to share with you something that she said to us.

She was talking about this one time she was at one of her really good friends' bachelorette party. She was sleeping in a couch with a girl she didn't really know well but she just felt compelled to ask her if she thinks this marriage seems right. Her answer was no. They both recognized that their friend was rushing into things and really only wanted to get married for the sake of being married... Well the story didn't end well-they got married anyway, the guy ended up having various affairs but they never split up and they're possibly fairly miserable.

Anyway, she said that someone once shared with her a vision-that we're in this huge place with a bunch of rooms. And each room has piles of different gifts all wrapped up and lying around all over the place. And we're all in one of these rooms right now, possibly a lot of us in the "Single" room, and we don't know when we leave and go into our next room or what even the next room looks like. But we have a choice, we can sit here and wish and plead with God, whining and complaining, "ohhh I want to be in thaaat room!! ohhh I want to be in the "Marriage" rooom! ohhh I just want someone to take caaare of me and love me" etc etc. Maybe eventually just getting up and going to the next room like the girl up there ^. Missing out completely on all the wonderful gifts in our current room that will benefit us in the rooms to come. OR!! We can party in the room we're in and open all the gifts that are set out for us, really enjoying them! Things like an increased reliance on God or ooh an opportunity to serve in a missions trip far far away! And then be that much more surprised and joyful and thankful when God calls us to our next room!

I'm a really visual person I think so I find this really helps me. And like I think it works on many levels other than the singleage vs. marriage concept but those were the examples she gave. Anyway, it was a good reminder for me to stop longing for home so much and worrying about what I'm going to do in the summer/fall/the rest of my life etc. I have a tendency to indulge in the futile thought of "Life will be good once _____ is over with/happens" (assignments/exams for now possibly??) It was awesome of God to bless me with a little reminder of what I'm supposed to be all about this year, a support for the path I'm on, and a further encouragement to keep opening these gifts in the place I'm at right now :)

5 comments:

RobynRenee said...

Thanks for sharing this Chantel. I have heard similar things before, and although I know that I need to party in the room I am right now it's so hard sometimes not to want to find a way to get into the other rooms.
I hope you are having fun their, and that all that funness helps aid in the homesickness.
God Bless,
Robyn

Chantaloupe? said...

Aw thanks Robyn and ya... haha ya it's still sometimes probably really hard to not gaze longingly to the other rooms once in a while.

Raylene said...

Awww Chantal... that was really great you shared that! I am loving that analogy.... I am totally guilty of wanting in the other rooms (like the Kamloops room!) and not really appreciating what I have in my current room (the Mackenzie room!) LOL!

But eventually I am sure we will all end up again in that first room I mentioned, and hey! Maybe we will all be in the same house!!!!

I love you girlie!!!

Chantaloupe? said...

YAAAAAY!!!! Hahaha yes let's be in the same house for sure :D

Heather said...

Aw, I'm the Kamloops room, but I wish you were here!